Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bette Davis

You wouldn't have to work very hard to convince me of Bette Davis' beauty.  I first saw her in The Petrified Forest as a kid, and fell in love with what can only be described as the severity of her features: the sharpness of her nose and lips, the height of her brow, and, of course, those eyes--deep-set, heavy lidded, wide and wild.  Her face is iconic and instantly recognizable.  As for her abilities as an actor: ten Oscar nominations and two wins (Dangerous 1935; Jezebel 1938).  Nonetheless, there is a quirkiness to that face that I suspect would bar it from advancing in the homogenized world of contemporary movie making.

(Favorite role: Margo Channing, All about Eve; Runner-up, Jane Hudson, What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?)

4 comments:

  1. I think Davis would make it. Her looks have an intensity that the camera seems to love. Fave role: All About Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Miss Davis could make it today, it might be due in large part to her determination to make it. I agree that she was too quirky -- in face and form -- for today's tastes.

    Favorite role: Margo Channing.
    I adore her in The Nanny, Baby Jane and Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte, too. Heck, I adore her in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a blog!

    It is interesting that even when there was a decade meme for beauty - e.g., slender, flat-chested, w/turned-up nose, & cupie doll lips & brows in the 30s -there was always room for the one who didn't fit the mold, like Bette.

    I suppose today one could point to actresses like Queen Latifah to say that is still true; but in actuality the occasional square peg today is really more of an oddity, filling a diversity niche, not a true star like BD - but then again, there aren't any true stars like BD anymore.

    I would like to suggest Humphrey Bogart as your next entry. Although one of my all-time favorite actors, I have often thought that with his slight physique, over-sized head, bassett-hound face, lisp, and overbite he'd be lucky to get a Dorito's commercial in today's market!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I forgot to weigh in with my fave Bette roles:

    Margo of course!

    Miss Julie in Jezebel, Fanny Trellis in Mr. Skeffington, Judy in Dark Victory, Mildred in Of Human Bondage ("...And after you kissed me, I always used to wipe my mouth - WIPE MY MOUTH!)and Baby Jane Hudson in WHTBJ?

    And like Norma, everything else I have ever seen her in, too.

    ReplyDelete